Newspapers Canada is pleased to announce the winners of the 2013 Great Idea Awards for excellence in newspaper marketing. The annual awards program honours outstanding advertising and promotional campaigns produced by daily and community newspapers from across the country. This year, 51 newspapers submitted 260 entries in seven distinct award categories. First, second and third place winners from this year’s competition are now posted online at www.greatideaawards.ca.
- The Abbotsford News received 11 awards including two first place awards for Newspaper Marketing and Promotion and Digital Innovation.
- The Vancouver Sun received five first place awards within its circulation class at this year’s competition. The daily paper cleaned up in Digital Innovation category, collecting first, second and third place awards.
- The Powell River Peak received four awards in total including the first place award for Advertising – Print.
- The Toronto Star won three awards and was the winner in the brand new Print Innovation category for its 3D embossed ad.
- The Guardian received three awards including first place prizes in the Promotional Campaign and Magazine categories.
The newspapers and individuals behind this year’s best entries will have the opportunity to share their stories of innovation and revenue growth with industry peers at the Great Idea Awards luncheon in Ottawa on Thursday, May 2 during the INK+BEYOND newspaper conference. Luncheon attendees will hear the details behind the award-winning campaigns are sure to leave feeling inspired! The awards luncheon is included in the price of admission for the annual conference and trade show.
For more details and to purchase conference passes, please visit www.inkandbeyond.ca.
Newspapers Canada would like to thank all of the participants, judges and sponsors that helped make this year’s Great Idea Awards a great success. We are honoured to continue this annual recognition of the outstanding achievements within the Canadian newspaper industry.