AUGUST 8, 2013 – Canada Post has announced price and service changes to Publications Mail and Unaddressed Admail effective January 13, 2014.
Newspapers Canada has assessed the impact of the new price sheets on member newspapers, and it has found that although a number of controlled-circulation newspapers may see a slight savings, the majority of both paid- and controlled-circulation newspapers will experience increases, with smaller paid-circulation publications in rural areas seeing the largest increases.
The association has expressed its concern to Canada Post about the inequity of the new price sheets and will be pursuing the matter further.
The following is a brief summary of changes affecting newspaper publishers. All customers should have received written notice of the changes, and details are also available online at canadapost.ca/notice.
Members with questions or concerns should contact Tina Ongkeko at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Price increases to Publications mail effective January 13, 2014.
- 2014 Publications Mail Customer Guide will be available online on November 15, 2013.
- New optional Customized Postal Indicia to help promote your business—available immediately.
- Clarification of how to perform a “pinch test” used to assess whether an enclosure will separate from your mail item—effective immediately. See section 188.8.131.52 of the current online version of the Publications Mail Customer Guide.
- Price increases and simplified price structure effective January 13, 2014.
- 2014 Unaddressed Admail Customer Guide will be available online on November 15, 2013.
- Simplified mail preparation for Unaddressed Admail effective immediately. Refer to the updated 2013 Mail Preparation Guides “Unaddressed Admail” and “Brickpiling” at canadapost.ca/mailpreparation.
- No longer required to produce a Distribution Plan or provide a mailing sample
- Maximum bundle height increased from 100 mm (4 inches) to 152.4 mm (6 inches)
- Single strapping (mechanically-applied) now extended to Oversize items
- No minimum weight requirements for brick-piled mail on pallets
- Clarification of how to perform a “pinch test” used to assess whether an enclosure will separate from your mail item—effective immediately. See section 184.108.40.206 of the current online version of the Unaddressed Admail Customer Guide.
- Elimination of SOM Only version of Electronic Shipping Tools (EST) for Unaddressed Admail—effective January 13, 2014. Use Precision Targeter, EST Online, or EST 2.0 to complete all your mailing documentation and to access your contract prices.