News Media Canada welcomes the federal government’s ongoing support of quality public service journalism.
- $300 million over two years for the Department of Canadian Heritage to establish a COVID Recover Fund. We hope this fund will provide support to community newspapers.
- A digital services tax of 3% on revenue from digital services that rely on data and content contribution from Canadian users.
- $96 million over five years to enhance the Competition Bureau’s enforcement capacity
- A Canada Digital Adoption Program that will help more than 160,000 businesses with the cost of new technology.
- Extension of the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program until September 25, 2021. The budget proposed to gradually decrease the subsidy rate, beginning July 4, 2021, in order to ensure a phase-out of the program.
You can read the full budget document here.