Position Type: Full-time
Reports to: Editor
Location: Canmore, Alta.
The Rocky Mountain Outlook was created in 2001 to cover the Bow Valley region of Alberta, which includes Canmore, Banff, the Stoney Nakoda First Nation, the MD of Bighorn, Lake Louise and Banff National Park. It’s situated in some of the most scenic areas in North America and has a print circulation of about 10,000 issues each week with a digital readership of more than 300,000 each month.
The Outlook has been recognized both provincially and nationally at the Alberta Weekly Newspaper Awards, the News Photographers Association of Canada, the Tom Hanson Photojournalism award, the Canadian Community Newspaper Association awards, the Canadian Journalism Foundation awards and the Canadian Association of Journalists awards. The news, sports, Indigenous, political coverage, investigative and photography work have regularly been honoured.
Community journalism is at the core of what our entire newsroom does in one of the most dynamic news environments in Canada. The successful applicant will join a newsroom with five editorial staff.
Great West Media is a Canadian community newspaper publishing company headquartered in St. Albert, Alberta. Great West Media has more than a dozen print and digital publications in Alberta, focusing on providing exceptional community news to its readers.
Their news division features award-winning journalists who engage hundreds of thousands of readers through its brands each week.
The Rocky Mountain Outlook is seeking a full-time photojournalist who will help drive coverage of issues and events and provide a well-rounded approach to journalism in a variety of functions such as photography, occasionally shooting video, publishing work through social media, running the Outlook’s Instagram page and helping to layout the paper.
After a three-month probation period, the successful candidate will gain benefits including dental, vision care and extended health care. Following a year, the reporter will be eligible to join the company’s Group RRSP program.
What you’ll do:
• The successful candidate will primarily complete photography assignments to go with written stories, but also search for standalone photos in the Bow Valley, get photos from breaking news, arts and entertainment and sports. Other topics may be assigned or pitched.
• Report and take photos for print, web and mobile audiences in platforms such as the Outlook’s website and Instagram.
• Cover stories as assigned or pitch potential articles for the paper.
• Excellent photography and reporting skills are required, as well as the ability to thrive under pressure.
• Proven success in producing photography, photography editing, newspaper layout, occasional writing, pitching and taking assignments and the ability to work quickly, independently and meet deadlines.
• Minimum one year of experience in journalism with a deadline-oriented reporting/writing role.
• Experience with InDesign and Photoshop is preferred and familiarity in digital platforms and multimedia journalism is important.
• Must be available to work day and evening shifts. Some weekend work required.
• A reliable car and a valid driver’s license are required. The Outlook offers a paid mileage rate.
Should you be interested in this opportunity please forward a cover letter, resume and three to five samples of published work to: email@example.com
Application Deadline: Sunday, March 13, 2022
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
The Rocky Mountain Outlook is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes resumes from all qualified candidates.