Village Media is searching for a talented and experienced journalist to fill a full-time position with GuelphToday covering civic journalism in Wellington County, Ontario, for our rapidly growing network of local news and information websites.
Our journalists are driven to find stories that matter to our community and are dedicated to fairness, accuracy and ethics.
The successful candidate for this position has a passion for, and interest in, covering municipal council and other civic institutions and issues. They would be able to quickly get to the crux of the story that highlights impact to the community. They relish chasing down a breaking news story and relaying it to readers as it happens. The ideal candidate isn’t afraid to ask tough questions when required and is committed to watchdog journalism.
- Degree or diploma in journalism, or related experience;
- Superior language, writing and editing skills (bilingualism would be an asset);
- Strong photography skills;
- Works well independently, but also enjoys working with a team;
- Able to work a flexible schedule when required, including nights and weekends;
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and deadlines;
- A valid driver’s licence and reliable vehicle;
- Willingness to relocate to the Guelph area in Ontario;
- Familiarity with Wellington County will be considered a strong asset.
If this is you, please apply! We want a cover letter, resume and relevant samples of your work. Applicants who fail to submit samples of their journalism will not be considered.
About Village Media
Village Media is where local news lives—and thrives. An ever-expanding network of community journalism websites, we cover the stories that matter most: the ones right in our backyards. A champion of hyperlocal news and information, Village Media publishes its articles on an innovative and scalable content management system (CMS) developed in-house. Born digital, our leading-edge company is a pioneer in its industry, continuously expanding its reach and changing the landscape of online news.
Village Media is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. If you require accommodations during the selection process, please contact email@example.com.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.