Home Industry Info Consumer Complaints

Consumer Complaints

Members of the general public have a number of options at their disposal to address concerns about a specific newspaper. Please click on the item below that applies to you.

If you did not receive your newspaper, contact your newspaper’s office directly to report non-delivery.

To locate your newspaper’s telephone number and website, click the button below:



Do you have a complaint about an article in a newspaper?

STEP 1: Contact your newspaper’s public editor or ombudsman.

This individual is in charge of receiving and investigating concerns from newspaper readers about materials published in print or on online. It is their duty to monitor the journalistic practices at the newspaper and act as a liaison to the public.

To locate your newspaper’s phone number and website, click the button below:



STEP 2: Contact your local media council

After contacting the paper, if you feel that your issue has not been resolved, you may choose to contact your local media council. Individuals and organizations who are concerned about the ethical conduct of a newspaper in gathering and publishing editorial content can file a complaint with their local media council by following the links below.

Canada’s media councils are non-governmental, non-profit organizations that have been established to receive and adjudicate public complaints regarding press performance.

If you have a question regarding media councils, contact the National NewsMedia Council at info@mediacouncil.ca.

Complaints about advertising content are adjudicated by Advertising Standards Canada.

Advertising Standards Canada is the national independent advertising industry self-regulatory body committed to creating and maintaining community confidence in advertising.

On industry’s behalf, Advertising Standards Canada administers a consumer complaints process about advertisements currently running in Canadian media. Complaints that raise a potential issue under the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards are reviewed by independent volunteer Standards Councils.

To report an advertising complaint, visit the Advertising Standards Canada website.