- This event has passed.
6 May 2016 - 7 May 2016
Associated Press Media Editors is bringing its renowned NewsTrain workshop to Halifax, Nova Scotia, May 6-7, 2016. Registration for this affordable, high-quality workshop will be $75 U.S. and includes two full days of training and meals.
The Halifax NewsTrain will be held at the University of King’s College, in conjunction with the Atlantic Journalism Awards Gala, which takes place at the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel on May 7. NewsTrain is open to all journalists including reporters and editors from all media, freelancers, students, and journalism educators.
NewsTrain is a national touring workshop that has served 6,000 journalists in 80+ cities since 2003. Programs are designed to provide affordable, high-quality training in the digital skills, knowledge and information journalists need in a rapidly changing media world. The 2016 Halifax NewsTrain is hosted by the Atlantic Journalism Awards, University of King’s College School of Journalism, Brunswick News, Canadian Association of Journalists, TC Media, Newspapers Atlantic, and Newspapers Canada. The program agenda has been designed to meet the needs of local journalists. Sessions include:
- maximizing your social media for personal branding and audience engagement,
- using social media for sourcing, including verifying user-generated content,
- making smart choices in digital storytelling,
- planning for breaking news on multiple platforms,
- writing for mobile,
- using audience analytics to get your stories read, and
- shooting compelling news video and photos with your smartphone.
Your accomplished instructors for the workshop at the University of King’s College include:
- Matt Frehner, senior editor for mobile and interactive news at The Globe and Mail.
- Kathy Kieliszewski, visuals director for the Detroit Free Press and four-time Emmy Award winner.
- Daniel Victor, senior staff editor for The New York Times and a former social media editor at the Times and ProPublica.org.
- Jennifer MacMillan, social media editor at CBC Nova Scotia and former managing editor of news for HuffPost Canada.
“If you’re looking for journalistic training you need to go to #halifaxnewstrain. Best I’ve ever done. #journalism”
— @gordonmcameron, group managing editor of Hamilton Community News and past president of the Ontario Community Newspapers Association
Half off for AJAs Gala on Saturday night: Stay after NewsTrain for the Atlantic Journalism Awards gala dinner and awards show at the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel on Saturday, May 7, 2016. NewsTrain attendees receive a 50% discount for themselves and their partner. Regular price $135 per person (no tax)—News Train attendees pay only $67.50. Order tickets online at www.AJAs.ca or call 902-478-6026.
Hotel accommodation: Discounted rooms are available at:
- Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel for C$175 a night. To reserve, call 902-421-1700 or 1-888-236-2427 and ask for the Atlantic Journalism Awards rate. Directions and airport-transportation information are here to the hotel at 1919 Upper Water St., about two miles from the workshop site.
- Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites for C$150 a night. To reserve, click here or call 1-800-565-2020 or 902-423-5130 and ask for the NewsTrain rate by April 20. Directions are here to the hotel at 1515 S. Park St., about one mile from the workshop site.
- On campus in the residence halls of the University of King’s College for as little as C$55 a night. To reserve, email Tim Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here.
What to bring: Your smartphone for the hands-on exercises.
Diversity Scholarships: A limited number of competitive diversity scholarships to cover the $75 registration fee are available to professional journalists, journalism educators and journalism students from diverse backgrounds. Travel expenses must be covered by the applicant or his/her organization. To apply, please answer these questions and email a resume and up to three work samples to Mike Kierstead, executive director of Newspapers Atlantic, at email@example.com. The deadline to apply is April 6, 2016.
For more information and to register, visit http://bit.ly/HalifaxNewsTrain.
Brunswick News Inc.
Do you wish to add an upcoming industry event to our calendar? Please send details to: / Vous aimeriez inscrire une activité à venir à notre calendrier? Veuillez envoyer tous les détails à : firstname.lastname@example.org