The Margaret Hennigar Award was named after the late Margaret Hennigar, a longtime member of the Canadian Community Newspapers Association (CCNA) who was active in the association as well as in her community. Marg helped found the Atlantic Community Newspapers Association (ACNA) and served as a board member for both the CCNA and the International Society of Weekly Newspaper Editors (ISWNE). The award was given annually to an individual who demonstrated exemplary leadership in business and in his or her community.
The award was created by members of the association in 2007 to honour exemplary individuals in Canada’s community newspaper industry who have shown outstanding leadership in business and within their community. Margaret’s daughter, CCNA Past President Lynn Hennigar, was the recipient of the inaugural award and her company, Lighthouse Publishing, assumed sponsorship of the award in honour of her mother.
- 2007 – Lynn Hennigar, Lighthouse Publishing Ltd., Lunenburg, NS
- 2008 – David Black, Black Press, BC
- 2009 – Jim Cumming, Fort Frances Times, ON
- 2010 – Betty Carr, Metroland Media Group, ON
- 2011 – Joyce Carlson, Powell River Peak, BC
- 2012 – Jack “Sig” Sigvaldason, Northern News Services, NT
- 2013 – Coleen Campbell, Lethbridge Herald, AB
- 2014 – Paul MacNeill, Island Press, Montague, PE
- 2015 - Bob Cox, FP Newspapers and Canstar Community Newspapers, Winnipeg, MB
For more information, contact the Awards Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.