Newspapers Canada is thrilled to reveal the winners of the 2016 Canadian Community Newspaper Awards. This prestigious annual awards program features more than 30 unique categories honouring outstanding editorial, photography, multimedia and overall excellence in community newspaper publishing. The 2016 competition saw 240 publications from coast to coast submit more than 2,400 entries.
- The Yukon News in Whitehorse, YT received six first place wins, two second-place wins and two third-place wins for a total of 10 awards overall.
- The Citizen, in Blyth/Brussels, ON swept their General Excellence class and won first place for Best All-Round Newspaper, Best Editorial Page and Best Front Page.
- Best Local Cartoon (circulation up to 9999) was awarded to Wyatt Tremblay from The Yukon News, and Best Local Cartoon, circulation 10,000 and over, was awarded to Michael de Adder of the Hill Times.
- Outstanding Columnist was awarded to Andy Prest of the North Shore News in Vancouver, BC.
- Journal Servir at CFB St-Jean/Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC was named this year’s Best Canadian Force Base Newspaper.
- Best Photo Illustration was awarded to the Nanaimo Daily News, Nanaimo, BC for their photo titled "End of an Era".
- Outstanding Campus Newspaper went to The Cord, Wilfred Laurier University.
Newspapers Canada would like to thank all of the newspapers, judges and sponsors who participated in the 2016 Canadian Community Newspaper Awards. We are honoured to continue this annual tradition of recognizing outstanding achievements in the community newspaper industry.
If you have any questions about the awards program, please contact Taylor Kormann at email@example.com.