THE 29th ANNUAL HON. EDWARD GOFF PENNY MEMORIAL PRIZES
Rules of Entry
- To be eligible, an entry must have been published in a News Media Canada-member daily newspaper in 2019 in English or French.
- An entry shall be submitted in one of two circulation classes: under 25,000 and 25,000 and over. Circulation figures refer to average daily circulation. Limit of one entry per person.
- An entrant shall be no more than 25 years of age and not less than 20 as of March 31, 2020.
- An entry shall consist of four editorial articles published during the 2019 calendar year. The entrant must be the sole author of an article. An article consists of no more than one main story and one sidebar.
- Entries must be submitted online with either website links or a PDF containing full-page tearsheets for each article. One PDF per main story or sidebar.
- Entries must be sponsored by the employing newspaper and may be accompanied by a letter from the sponsoring editor, outlining circumstances under which the stories were obtained.
- All decisions by the judges are final and no reasons need be given by the judges. Prizes must be accepted as awarded and are not transferable.
- Before an entrant is declared a winner of an award, the entrant must sign a declaration of compliance with the rules and a release including an indemnity and a license to publish the entry.
- Each entry will be considered in competition with all others duly entered in its circulation classification by a panel of judges chosen by News Media Canada. The judges reserve the right to not name a winner in either class.
- Submissions become the property of News Media Canada and may be reproduced in any of its publications.
- The entry deadline is Friday, February 28, 2020.
Judging will be conducted on a point system with News Media Canada compiling the aggregate results. On the basis of 100 points, 25 points shall be allotted by the judging committee for each of four features:
- Purity of language used and excellence of style (25 points)
- Interest of subject (25 points)
- Forcefulness or persuasiveness of presentation (25 points)
- Depth or originality of thought having regard to, among other things, whether the work was assigned by the newspaper or truly originated with the competitor (25 points)
- Total (100 points)
Contact the Awards Coordinator at email@example.com.