In 2018 and 2019, the Government of Canada announced a series of new measures to provide financial assistance to the news media industry. These measures are in addition to the longstanding Canada Periodical Fund.
Current funding options include the following:
Canada Periodical Fund
- Financial assistance program available to Canadian print magazines, non-daily newspapers and digital periodicals. The CPF has three components: Aid to Publishers, Business Innovation, and Collective Initiatives.
Local Journalism Initiative
- A five-year program available to eligible Canadian media organizations to hire journalists or pay freelance journalists to produce civic journalism for underserved communities.
Journalism Labour Tax Credit
- A 25-per-cent refundable tax credit for journalism organizations on salary or wages paid to eligible newsroom employees.
Qualified Donee Status
- Access to charitable tax incentives for not-for-profit journalism.
Personal Income Tax Credit for Digital Subscriptions
- A temporary, non-refundable 15-per-cent tax credit available to individual subscribers on amounts paid for eligible subscriptions to Canadian digital news.
For more information on any of these programs, please click a tile below or contact Paul Deegan, President and CEO, at email@example.com.