Village Media is a network of local news and information websites that is rapidly expanding across the country and we are looking for a talented and motivated journalist to fill a full-time position at TimminsToday in Timmins, Ontario.
Timmins is a diverse city with a strong Francophone minority population, and a growing community of New Canadians and Indigenous people. We feel these communities, and the challenges they face do not receive as much coverage as they deserve.
For these reasons, we are creating a beat we’re calling Communities, the goal of which is to elevate the coverage of more marginalized and underserved communities in our city to increase understanding, cooperation and appreciation on all sides.
The successful candidate for this position:
● Is passionate about covering diversity issues and is preferably fluently bilingual in English and French
● Loves digging into a hard news story, but also writing about people’s passions and struggles
● Has experience as a published journalist
● Isn’t afraid to ask tough questions and is committed to watchdog journalism
● Are driven to find stories that matter to their community
● Relish chasing down a breaking news story and relaying it to readers as it happens
● Are committed to fairness, accuracy and ethics
● Have exceptional writing skills and editing skills
● Degree or diploma in journalism, or a related field;
● Superior language, writing and editing skills;
● Strong photography skills;
● Some photography and associated editing software experience;
● Able to work a variety of schedules, including evenings, nights and weekends;
● Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills;
● Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and under pressure;
● A valid driver’s licence and a reliable vehicle;
● Willingness to relocate to Timmins, Ontario.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume, along with relevant samples of your work.
Please apply online HERE.
About Village Media:
Village Media operates a number of local news and community websites throughout Ontario. We focus on providing local stories written by local journalists to the communities that we serve. In addition to local news, our sites offer weather, events, obituaries, and a wide range of community information. We are proud members of the cities where we operate. We support local events, charitable causes, and recognize our neighbours’ achievements. We’re more than just news: Village Media is all about community.