The Medicine Hat News has an immediate opening for a Local Journalism Initiative Reporter with a focus on education and agriculture.
The ideal candidate for this role will be a motivated worker with a passion for journalism, strong news sense, excellent research skills, a creative approach to coverage, a desire to learn and a demonstrated ability to adapt to rapidly changing situations.
This is a full-time contract position concluding in March 2023 with no guarantee of further employment.
The Medicine Hat News is a member of Alberta Newspaper Group LP and has operated as a daily newspaper since 1885, providing award winning daily coverage from court and councils to sports and human interest. Medicine Hat is home to a rich sports community, featuring four local high schools, Medicine Hat College, the Western Hockey League’s Medicine Hat Tigers and much more.
- Reporting on local stories through print and photography, with a focus on education and agriculture.
- Pitching story ideas with an emphasis on local content
- Schedule may include evenings and weekends
- Post-secondary education in journalism or related field
- Experience at a daily or weekly news organization in a reporting role
- Working knowledge of Canadian Press style
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Strong sense of ethical integrity
- Fluency in social media platforms
- Willingness to work overtime when required
- Photography and layout experience would be considered an asset
- Full Time Contract Position
- Full benefits
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- Paid Vacation
Please submit your resume, cover letter and three references to:
Medicine Hat News
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.