The Low Down to Hull and Back News is seeking a full-time reporter/photographer to cover general news, feature articles, and take pictures for our feisty, award-winning newspaper in beautiful Wakefield, Quebec.
This position is an excellent opportunity for recent graduates of a journalism program, as assignments will cover a variety of beats – from hard news, crime, and municipal affairs to arts and entertainment and longer feature stories.
The Low Down is located in beautiful Wakefield, Qc, just a 30-minute drive from the Nation’s Capital and one of the most dynamic and eclectic communities in Canada. There is no shortage of interesting stories to cover in our community – from a thriving arts scene to the world-class sports and recreation hub of Gatineau Park and the many quirky characters that call the Gatineau Hills home. The Low Down boasts a dynamic readership that is highly engaged in municipal politics and local news.
Job Description: Your main responsibilities will be:
- Reporting and writing stories;
- Posting stories to our website and social media accounts;
- Evening and weekend work on occasion;
- The ideal candidate will be comfortable with a DSLR camera and editing software and will assist in designing and proofreading pages for print;
- The Low Down will provide training.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have a degree or diploma in journalism or a related field and must possess strong interviewing, writing, and reporting skills. Must have:
- The ability to meet deadlines and be organized;
- Must be comfortable with a camera;
- Experience with Photoshop and InDesign is considered an asset;
- The successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle;
- Candidates with a working knowledge of French will be given preference.
Join the Low Down to Hull and Back News is an award-winning, independently-owned, small-circulation English weekly. Immediate start for the winning candidate.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume, along with relevant writing samples to:
Deadline for applications is: Feb. 20, 2023