NOTE: This application period is now closed. Thank you for your interest. Applications received by the deadline will be adjudicated in May and decisions will be communicated to all applicants by the end of May.
NOTE: In compliance with government directives regarding the current health crisis, the News Media Canada office building is closed and staff are working remotely. Please submit applications in confidence by email only to email@example.com.
We continue to accept applications, particularly for freelance, part-time, and short-term contract positions. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or read below for more information.
Applications are being sought for short term projects, including freelance and contract positions from Quebec French media, English media from the rest of Canada, and Indigenous media across the country. All projects in this round should be completed by March 31, 2021.
Print and digital news media are eligible to apply for funding to News Media Canada. Applications are due on Wednesday, July 15, 2020. More specifically, and considering previous grant allocations, the program is looking for approximately 10 to 20 positions, particularly at French media in Quebec, and at Indigenous media—that is, media published by and for Indigenous communities—anywhere in Canada.
Applicants are required to:
- review the Local Journalism Initiative – Application Guidelines 2020-2021;
- complete the Local Journalism Initiative – Application Form 2020-2021;
- print a hard copy of the Application Form, sign it, and email or courier it to News Media Canada, along with the following supporting documents:
- Articles of Incorporation (for a first time applicant or incorporated in the year, if applicable);
- Financial statements from the most recently completed financial year (if audited financial statements are available, please submit);
- For print publications: One digital copy of a regular issue from each of the four quarters from the last 12 months (total of 4 regular issues);
- For print publications: Printer’s invoices for the 4 regular issues being submitted (printer’s invoices must clearly show the number of copies printed); and,
- For publications whose digital publication or website has a paywall: Website account information (username and password) to be used by the Local Journalism Initiative for verification purposes.
Additional information and documents, such as circulation audit reports, website traffic audit reports, brand reports, media kit or additional issues may be required to determine the eligibility of a publication.
Wednesday, July 15, 2020
When an application deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, it is extended to the following working day.
Local Journalism Initiative
News Media Canada
37 Front Street East, Suite 200
Toronto, Ontario M5E 1B3
1-877-305-2262 ext. 3327
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).