Become a Host News Organization
Applications for news organizations to apply for funding will be available in late September.
Who can apply?
The Local Journalism Initiative is open to existing Canadian news organizations. To be eligible for funding, an applicant must be:
- a press agency;
- a private news organization; or,
- a non-profit news organization.
Private non-community broadcasters and the CBC/Radio-Canada are not eligible.
News Media Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative program is open to Canadian print and online news media, and we particularly encourage applications from Indigenous news organizations.
Applicants are encouraged to apply to the appropriate Administrator Organization that serves their particular segment of the industry. For a list of Administrator Organizations, including those serving official language minority written press, ethnic newspapers, community radio, and community television, click here.
To verify eligibility, News Media Canada will require applicants to confirm that they:
- are majority owned and controlled by Canadians or otherwise meet the requirements of Section 19 of the Income Tax Act;
- engage in coverage of democratic bodies/institutions and civic function journalism as core principles;
- are edited, designed, assembled and published in Canada and directed primarily at Canadian audiences in Canada;
- have completed at least one uninterrupted 12-month publishing cycle.