In the few weeks since the launch of the Local Journalism Initiative, News Media Canada has heard from news organizations from coast to coast, eager to learn more. In this newsletter, we’re aiming to answer some of your most frequently asked questions, starting with what an underserved community is and who is eligible for the program. In this bulletin, we’re focusing on how to apply and to whom.
News organizations should apply to the Administrator Organization serving their segment of the news industry.
If your news organization is:
- Official-language minority written press: apply to Association de la presse francophone or Quebec Community Newspapers Association;
- Ethnic newspapers and media: apply to National Ethnic Press and Media Council of Canada;
- Community radio : apply to Community Radio Fund of Canada;
- Community television: apply to Canadian Association of Community Television Users and Stations (CACTUS) or Fédération des télévisions communautaires autonomes du Québec;
- English, French and Indigenous print and online news media: apply to News Media Canada.
Contact your Administrator Organization (for contact information, click here) for details on their eligibility criteria and application process.
Administrator organizations will work with each other to ensure that all applications are directed to the appropriate organization.
Applications will be available next week.
Meanwhile, have you started thinking about identifying a need for civic journalism in underserved communities? It'll be an integral part of your application.
Learn more about the Local Journalism Initiative here.