The countdown is on! The 81st annual National Newspaper Week kicks off in less than 10 days and we have lots of ways that you can celebrate in your community. This year we partnered with Canadian artist Ola Volo to create a custom, limited-edition piece of art (“Champions”) that aims to spark conversation about the importance of independent, local journalism.
SIX ways you can celebrate National Newspaper Week 2021:
- National Ad Campaign – Join more than 300 other newspapers across Canada in the celebration by running one of our “Truth be told.” house ads. This year we have developed a powerful ad campaign to encourage Canadians to celebrate the newspaper industry. Download the creative here and let us know if you will be running an ad.
- Reader Engagement – Help your readers understand the importance of their local newspaper and reliable reporting that they can feel confident sharing with family and friends. Run one of our editorial stories (including photos) and spread the word about National Newspaper Week. Or use our editorial as inspiration to write your own article!
- Social Media – Reach out to your community to show their support on social media. Encourage your readers, your advertisers and even your local leaders to post a photo reading their favourite newspaper on social media. Don’t forget to promote with hashtags: #NationalNewspaperWeek and #ChampionTheTruth.
- Carrier Appreciation – A new print Carrier Appreciation house ad is available for download to recognize distributors and carriers on International Carrier Appreciation Day (Saturday October 9, 2021). Click here to access the online Publisher’s Toolkit and download ad material.
- Small Space/Filler Ads – If you are looking for small space ads or filler you can download ad material and working files through the online toolkit by clicking here.
To provide Canadians with a tangible way to show their support for the industry, items from the 2021 Champion The Truth collection (art print, lined journal) will be available for purchase online from October 3, the launch of National Newspaper Week, until the end of the year. A portion of proceeds from collection sales will be donated to Canadian Journalists for Free Expression.
More information is available at www.nationalnewspaperweek.ca.
*** SPECIAL PUBLISHER OFFER ***
News Media Canada has a limited number of signed “Champions” prints to give away to publishers. To qualify, all you need to do is publish a “Truth be told.” house ad AND one of our pre-written editorial stories including provided photos. Publishers can choose to keep the print or generate additional reader engagement with their own contest.
Our National Newspaper Week program has been made possible in part by the government of Canada.