There are just three weeks left to register for the renowned NewsTrain educational series, coming to Toronto on September 13-14. Sponsored by the Associated Press Media Editors, this national touring workshop is designed to provide training in the skills, knowledge, and information that newsroom leaders need in a rapidly changing media setting. NewsTrain programs are aimed at all levels of newsroom editors and managers, reporters, copy editors, visual journalists, and online producers.
At NewsTrain Toronto you will learn how to:
- Develop clear standards for producing a consistent and growing body of quality content across multiple platforms.
- Plan and manage continuous news coverage across digital and print platforms.
- Use the many basic (and free) smart phone tools available to capture and post news and images from the field.
- Use social media to engage readers, bring them to your web site, and create strong news-oriented brands for individuals and your newsroom as a whole.
- Explore ways to use social media as a reporting tool when faced with breaking news or enterprise projects.
- Develop regular, systematic filings of Freedom of Information requests to hold governments and officials to account–and to produce exclusive, investigative stories.
- Differentiate between a breaking news story and an impact story, how to frame an impact story, then report, write, and edit so "impact" is the primary focus, even across different types of stories.
- Anticipate and capture the visuals and sound needed for good video in order to quickly edit and post high-quality video.
- Examine video story forms and how each newsroom can and should develop its own set of forms to improve planning, communication, and execution of video.
Co-hosted by Metroland Media Group and Newspapers Canada, the Toronto NewsTrain workshop program was developed by a planning committee with representatives from The Canadian Press, The Globe and Mail, Multimedia Nova, Ontario Community Newspapers Association, Postmedia, Torstar, and Ryerson School of Journalism.
Space is limited! Register now and download the workshop agenda at: www.apme.com.