Statistics Canada has released Q1 2015 retail sales figures, reporting $108.6 billion in the first quarter, up 1.9% from the first quarter of 2014. Higher sales were reported in 9 of the 10 major commodity groups.
- Sales of motor vehicles, parts and services rose 6.4%, the eighth consecutive quarterly gain. For the first time since late 2012, the sales growth of used automotive vehicles (+9.4%) outpaced that of new automotive vehicles (+4.8%).
- Automotive fuels, oils and additives sales fell 20.0% compared with the first quarter of 2014, the commodity grouping’s largest decline since 2009.
- Sales receipts of food and beverages advanced 5.4%.
- Retail sales of health and personal care items rose 5.9%.
- Sales of clothing, footwear and accessories increased 7.7% year over year.