Last week newspapers across the country celebrated our industry during the 79th annual National Newspaper Week.
News Media Canada coordinated a nation-wide celebration with print and digital ads that ran in more than 350 newspapers and their web sites last week. Many newspapers got the message out to their readers in print, digital and some with videos.
Some highlights from last week included:
- The Brampton Guardian asked residents why their local newspaper matters to them. One resident said “Newspapers matter because it shares all the local news, we get the first choice to see what’s going on, what’s really happening in our city” while another stated that “it’s a way of connecting where I live with the people that live around my community and it’s a way of learning what’s happening daily and just staying connected with the community.”
- The Estevan Mercury shared a video of their paper on the press on Facebook.
- Jenna from The Northern View in Prince Rupert reminded readers that “Newspapers are your analysis. They answer the why and go in-depth. They compile all the sides into a story.”
- La Liberté launched their Proud Advertiser video series featuring clips from local advertisers celebrating newspapers.
- The North Grenville Times took the opportunity to share with readers that National Newspaper Week is a chance to think about the place of the print media in society today and the growing importance of on-line versions of newspapers and news outlets.
Many newspapers also took the opportunity to thank their carriers on Saturday October 12 – International Carrier Appreciation Day. The Lacombe Globe also took to Twitter to share their message.
The 2019 program also included a social media influencer campaign that generated messages of support from almost 100 notable Canadians in English and French Canada, generating just over 3 million impressions across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! Follow News Media Canada on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and #NewspapersMatter, #MonJournalAvantTout and #NationalNewspaperWeek to read the buzz online.