Newspapers Canada undertook a study with a third party research group, Totum Research, to determine overall newspaper readership across different devices and by time of day. The same study was conducted in 2011, 2013 and 2014 which allows us to evaluate what has changed.
What hasn’t changed?
- Readership continues to grow across every device – print, web, phone and tablet.
- Young adults (18-34) continue to embrace the three key media (print, web and phone) to read newspapers.
- Print continues be part of young adults’ newspaper diet (and it showed a slight increase in the last year).
What has changed?
- Phone continues to grow and no other demographic uses it more to access newspapers than young adults.
- Newspaper website is a solid second as a source, growing each year and it is used consistently from mid-morning on.
- Tablet, while still lowest among the devices used by young adults to access newspapers, it is catching up. It is mainly used in the evening.
PC: Right-click on image. Then click on “Save Target As.”
MAC: Click and hold on image. Then click on “Save Link As.”